Explorations in Art – for Children and Young People (and the occasional adult!)
This is the third year I will offer “Explorations in Art” for young people, either individually or in small groups. I have loved the experience of working with individual students, usually in my home studio.
Where? Classes will be offered in or near my studio at Kerry Farm near Abernethy, but I am flexible – if a location closer to your home works best for your family, we can try it out.
When? We can fit this into your family’s schedule. Generally, I like at least 2 hours at a time with a student. We have found that after school does not work for many kids, but does work for some. Weekends or holidays work well. Some students come once or twice a month. Others come just during school holidays.
What? Sessions are usually 2 hours long. Some students will need some outdoor activity in that time period and they enjoy meeting the horses, visiting the willow tree or playing with our dogs. When beginning with a young person, I like to have a few sessions to get a feel for how we might proceed. Often we start with a session about drawing, followed by a session focussing on watercolour painting, and ending up with creating a collage or working in some form of sculpture.
In the past, we have also worked on portraits; landscapes; working with shapes, volume and perspective; with fimo clay or papier mache. Often, a student’s interest helps shape the direction we take.
Who? No limit on ages comes to mind as I write this. As parents, you know your children best. Sometimes they need one-on-one attention, at other times, they would benefit most by working with others. Sometimes our children love doing something special with one of their parents. While I imagine working mainly with children and youth, I have also enjoyed working with families or a parent and child.
Cost includes art supplies. I accept cash, personal cheques, e-transfers and barter.
If your child has an interest in art and you do not have the means to pay for art lessons, please contact me. I offer a sliding scale from 0 (no cost) to the amounts outlined above. I long for a world where opportunities are accessible to all.
- Each individual has their own unique “style” and way of seeing and experiencing the world. As a guide, I hope to discover your child’s style and work with them to develop new skills to express themselves more fully. Although “cookie cutter” lessons have benefits, each child will pursue their own path, even when working in small groups.
- Creating art is an absorbing, positive and joyful practice that can enrich your whole life. We often identify the “artist” in a classroom at a very young age. While it is true that some people have natural talent in the arts, everyone has the inherent ability to learn to draw. My own experience is that practicing art for fun helps me deal with stress, provides me with calm times, and increases my enjoyment of life enormously. Our kids are often rushed through life – an hour or two of art provides a quiet centre which many children absolutely soak up. Children and youth often tell me that is a very calming, yet fun experience.
- Noticing beauty can be an every day practice. There is beauty all around us, even in the most commonplace objects. An art practice helps us open our eyes and truly see the world with gratitude.
- The natural world is the greatest healer. When possible, we will spend time in the natural world as part of our art practice. All of us need movement, so movement (dance, walk, stretching) will be a part of our time together.
- I will share ideas with students for practicing art at home, so they can develop a life-long practice of creating art. I feel most successful as a guide when I learn that students continue to create art at home simply because they love to do so. Art does not have to cost a lot of money. I will share examples of art that is inexpensive to create.
- Teaching is a two way path. I have been teaching or guiding people of all ages for many years, and this I know: I always learn more than I teach. Your children will also be my teachers in a very real way. It is a gift to learn from them and with them. We will explore together.